Monday, September 23, 2013

Simple Blackberry Ice Cream

  1 comment    
categories: , , ,
  Blackberry Ice Cream 2 Last night we had some friends over for dinner and I started making some frozen custard, but as I was cooking the eggs and cream I was chatting and let them cook too long… All our eggs and our custard was ruined! I was so frustrated! I remembered one time making ice cream without eggs (just cream, milk, sugar, vanilla), so I searched for that recipe—it is from our ice cream maker booklet, which I was lucky to find online! It’s the Cuisinart Ice Cream maker and here is the link to the PDF of their recipes. I used the Simple Vanilla Ice Cream (page 3) as the base for this recipe. Then just add 4 cups of blackberries that are sprinkled with sugar.
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c. whole milk
  • 3 c. heavy cream
  • 1 c. + 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
  • pinch table salt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. vanilla
Then I added:
  • 4 c. blackberries (with a dusting of sugar, mixed together) – add these after the ice cream starts getting thicker in the machine
  • (Italian waffle cookies—we found these at Costco and they are the perfect addition to a bowl of homemade ice cream! They taste like a waffle cone only with a stronger vanilla flavor and have a great texture.)IMG_0680
Whisk ingredients together in a bowl. The recipe says to chill it 2 hours beforehand but we didn’t have time for that and it still turned out delicious and creamy! We just poured into the ice cream maker. After about 20 minutes we added the blackberries and after about 35 minutes we took it out of the ice cream maker. It was still pretty soft so I’d recommend chilling it another hour or two before serving.
This recipe is SO much easier than most other ice creams I’ve made (no eggs, no cooking) and tastes just as good. I think this will be my new go-to in the future.
IMG_0769
IMG_0768

1 comment:

  1. I use fat free half & half in place of the whole milk. It's a bit creamier and freezes up just fine. I still of course use the heavy cream.

    ReplyDelete