Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Oatmeal Cream Pies

  No comments    
categories: , , , ,
OatmealCreamPies
For the past couple weeks I’ve been seeing these recipes everywhere! They keep making me salivate and I’ve been wanting to try them but didn’t have a reason to until last night. I have to be cautious to not make sweets too much otherwise we end up eating all of them! Last night we had a get-together with friends and I finally had an excuse to make these.
They were so good. You should go make them this instant. And you probably have everything on hand. Honestly I was sad I only got to eat one because they went so fast!
I found the recipe on Pinterest one day. The blogger indicated these were an original recipe from her mom’s collection and she displayed a snapshot of the recipe card they came from. I took a screen shot of the recipe card so I’d have it handy, but when I went to find the blog I could not for the life of me find it with many searches on Pinterest and Google. Here is the recipe card—if this is your recipe or if you know where it came from please let me know! It was amazing! I’ve seen a lot of these cream pie recipes and the consistency doesn’t look quite right… this recipe made large thin cookies that were soft and chewy. Mmmm.
IMG_0389 My only change to this recipe was adding a little more flour than called for. It was so wet and sticky I didn’t see how I could even scoop them onto the baking sheetIMG_0449
Ingredients for cookies:
  • 1 1/4 c. butter, softened
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. white sugar
  • 1 1/2 c. flour (I used almost 2 c.)
  • 3 c. oats
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Cream butter and sugars in mixer. Meanwhile mix dry ingredients together. Add eggs and vanilla to butter mixture. Cream. Add dry mixture to butter mixture. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Let cool on pan before removing (so they don’t crack).
Ingredients for cream filling:
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1-2 Tbsp. heavy cream (I didn’t have cream so I used milk)
  • 4-5 Tbsp. shortening** (This wasn’t part of the original recipe but it needed something to taste lighter and fluffier. This was the perfect trick. Made it taste more like cream filling and less like a buttercream frosting.)
  • I also added 1 tsp. of vanilla
Cream all ingredients together until frosting is a light and whipped consistency. Frost insides of cookies once completely cool! Store with parchment paper between them to keep them from sticking. They are CHEWY!IMG_0447 IMG_0440

0 comments:

Post a Comment