Monday, April 13, 2015

Sweet Potato, Kale, & Corn Chowder

  No comments    

sweet potato, corn, + kale chowder

Lately I’ve been fascinated with all the people who have changed their lives and chronic health problems through diet changes. I’ve even heard European doctors talk about how plant diets can cure cancer. I’m no doctor but I sure feel better when I’m eating a meal made of pure veggies rather than bag of Cadbury Mini Eggs. Lately I’ve been trying to make more all veggie meals. This one caught my eye immediately. A healthy chowder made of all veggies + veggie broth, with a little salt, pepper, and cinnamon. In my opinion the cinnamon makes this meal! It really adds a deep flavor to the sweet potatoes. I love sweet potatoes. And leeks are amazing. They have this really subtle onion flavor that isn’t overwhelming. I couldn’t believe how full my husband and I were after eating this soup! It is so hearty and so delicious. Perfect for a rainy day here in Portland.

Sweet Potato, Kale and Corn Chowder from A House in the Hills:

INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2″ cubes
  • 2 shallots, diced
  • 1 medium leek, cleaned and sliced (round)
  • 1 bunch of curly kale, chopped
  • 3 cups of frozen or fresh corn
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 3 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
  • 3 cups of water (more to preference)
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (more to taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil

DIRECTIONS:

  1. In large, heavy bottomed soup pan sauté diced shallots and coconut oil over medium/low heat until softened.
  2. Add garlic, sweet potatoes, sea salt, pepper, cinnamon and sauté an additional minute.
  3. Add vegetable broth and water, cook utnil potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.  Add leeks and cook an additional two minute
  4. Use an immersion blender (or transfer to a standing blender) to rough puree the soup.
  5. Add kale, corn and cook until kale is softened.  Add additional salt and pepper to taste.

sweet potato, corn, + kale chowder

    sweet potato, corn, + kale chowder

 sweet potato, corn, + kale chowder

 

sweet potato, corn, + kale chowder

0 comments:

Post a Comment