Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Whip Up Something New: February

  No comments    

This month I decided to make calzones for the Whip Up Something New challenge. Every weekend, either Friday or Saturday night, depending on our schedule, I make homemade pizza but I was getting a bit sick of it so I thought this would be a simple twist.

IMGP2747

I usually switch off between KitchenAid’s pizza dough recipe and Ina Garten’s recipe, depending on how much I want to make and/or freeze for later. This past week I did the KitchenAid recipe. Here it is:

  • 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 1/2-3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • I also add about a tablespoon of agave nectar because I’ve heard that sugars activate yeast better. I do this in my breads also and it works really well. Plus, who doesn’t love sugar in their bread?
  • After making the dough and letting it rise, I rolled it out. Though my husband is definitely stronger than me, I’ve become a master dough and fondant roller over the past couple years. We like our crust very thin.IMGP2734

    Add toppings:IMGP2741

    Fold and roll:IMGP2746

    Bake at 450 on a pizza stone for 15 minutes (give or take).IMGP2748

    These ended up being huge so we cut them in half and re-baked the leftovers the next day. They were so delicious. Much better than pizza, in my opinion.IMGP2751

    I called my sister to tell her that calzones were so much tastier than pizza and I couldn’t figure out why; she said “Easy! It’s because the dough-filling ratio is much higher with a calzone.” Of course.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment