Thursday, September 19, 2013

Thai Chicken Salad

  No comments    
categories: , ,
Thai Chicken Salad
I found the original recipe for this salad here and altered it slightly based on what I had at home, and based on the fact that we can’t have peanut products in our house because of my son’s allergy. Here is what I used for my adapted recipe.
  • 2 cups sliced matchstick carrots
  • 1 yellow bell pepper sliced thin
  • 1 small bag baby spinach
  • 1 cup sliced cucumber
  • 2 chopped green onions
  • 4 cooked chicken breasts, shredded or cut in small pieces (I cooked these in the crock pot with soy sauce, honey, and red pepper flakes)
  • cilantro for topping of salad
  • limes for juice & garnish For chicken coating:
  • juice from 2 limes
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 1-2 tbsp honey
  • 3 tbsp almond butter 
  • a pinch of red pepper flakes
Instead of dressing the salad with the thick almond butter dressing, I removed the chicken from the Crock Pot, sliced it up, and mixed it with the dressing. Then I mixed up the veggies in the salad bowl and topped it with the chicken. The dressing is so delicious! I think I added a bit more red pepper flakes than I’d intended because the chicken was pretty spicy!! But we liked the spicy taste with the sweet honey. Taste as you’re making it to see how spicy/sweet you want it to be. And surprisingly the almond butter worked as a great substitute. I’ve made this kind of chicken before with peanut butter before we had kids and this tasted almost exactly the same.
Also, dress with lots of lime juice! It helped really add freshness to the salad. IMG_0513

0 comments:

Post a Comment