Monday, May 2, 2011

Pesto Panini

  No comments    
categories: 

Last week after getting my blood tested at my 29 week appointment, my doctor told me my iron is a little low (I thought, that sounds about right seeing as I’ve had meat only 2-3 times in the past 3 months!). However, I was a little frustrated because I eat a lot of spinach which has a high amount of iron. She said low iron won’t hurt the baby, just my energy level.

I do feel great being vegan, but am going to start taking an iron supplement and having meat once a week while I’m pregnant/nursing. This weekend I made us a ham and pesto panini (adapted from Martha Stewart’s prosciutto pesto panini).IMGP4141

Here’s how I made it:

The original recipe called for ciabatta bread, which I didn’t have, so I made some individual loaves. (Yes, I love bread and used a mini-loaf for each sandwich. They were very filling!)IMGP4130

Then I sliced open the loaves and slathered pesto inside:IMGP4136

Then I layered with thin ham, spinach, tomatoes, and cheese. You can use yummy vegan rice cheese if you’d like, or the good old real cheese my husband prefers ;)IMGP4143

IMGP4138

0 comments:

Post a Comment