Monday, August 26, 2013

Chili Garlic Butter Pan-Seared Steak

  No comments    
categories: , ,
Chili Garlic Pan Seared Steak I’ve been married for 8 years and just cooked restaurant style steaks for us for the 1st time last week. Can you believe it? I’ve made sliced steaks for fajitas and for beef with broccoli, but never have I had to make one that is done well on the outside, juicy in the center, not tough, melts in your mouth, and is essentially the entire focus of the meal. I was a little nervous but I found a great Alton Brown recipe that helped me master the steak cooking. I then added some of the homemade chili garlic butter I made for the asparagus (below) to it, for a restaurant feel (it was our anniversary). I love a good flavor infused butter on a steak.
Here is Alton’s recipe I used:
- 1 rib eye steak or 2 New York strip steaks, 1 1/2-inch thick (I used strip steaks and got the smallest ones I could find – with so much else in the meal I didn’t want to be too full from steak)
- vegetable oil, to coat (I used olive oil)
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
Directions:
1 Remove steak(s) from fridge and start bringing them to room temperature.
2 After 30 to 45 minutes, place a 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees F.
3 When oven reaches temperature, remove the pan and place it on a burner over high heat.
4 Coat steak(s) lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.
5 Immediately place steak(s) in the middle of the hot, dry pan. Cook 30 to 60 seconds without moving. Turn the steak(s) with tongs and cook another 30 to 60 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Flip steak(s) and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. (The time in the oven depends on how rare you like your steaks. The time given is for medium, but depends on number of steaks, etc. as well.)
6 Remove the steak(s) from the pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes.
7 Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.
I oiled and seasoned one side of the steaks while still in their package, then used tongs to turn them onto a plate and season the other side.IMG_9274IMG_9275IMG_9276  
I slightly altered how I cooked them. Alton said to only sear the front and back side, but I looked at an Ina Garten recipe and it said to sear all sides, even the thin sides, to lock in the juices. Ina never fails me so I did it that way!
{If you make these be sure to remember the pan is searing hot from preheating in a 500 degree oven. I forgot the handle was hot and burned myself! Just another mom brain moment.}
IMG_9295  
Sear all sides then put back in the oven for 4 minutes on front side and 4 minutes on back side for medium (3 minutes for rare and 5 minutes a side for medium well). Top with some of the chili garlic butter, and serve hot. I think I need to start making steak more. This was delicious. steak

0 comments:

Post a Comment