Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fish Tacos

  No comments    
categories: , ,

My husband loves fish tacos and had been asking (for a while) for me to come up with something. I tried to incorporate many things I’ve liked on different fish tacos I’ve had. The result? Flour tortilla, breaded tilapia, homemade green chile baja sauce, corn/tomato relish, smashed black beans with yogurt and Mexican spices. I like recipes I can truly call my own; no cook books or recipes consulted (so maybe there is another one out there like this?). They are yummy. This has become a staple in our home. Recipe below.P1050049 P1050048

Ingredients:

  • White or wheat flour tortillas
  • Tilapia (I buy the panko-breaded kind at Costco; if you prefer no breading, go without)
  • Black beans, one can
  • Fresh corn, one cup
  • 1-2 tomatoes, chopped
  • Chopped lettuce
  • Cilantro
  • Chile powder
  • Cumin
  • Green chile sauce, to taste
  • Yogurt (low fat—much better than sour cream), half cup divided
  • Mayonnaise, quarter cup
  • Taco seasoning
  • Sugar

Directions:

  1. Pan roast tilapia according to instructions; I roast mine for about 20 minutes at 415 degrees
  2. Meanwhile, warm one can of black beans and mash with 1/4 cup of yogurt. Add pinch of sugar and chile powder to taste. Set aside.
  3. Gently combine tomatoes and corn with cilantro, salt, chile powder and cumin. Set aside.
  4. To make baja sauce, combine remaining yogurt (1/4 cup) with 1/4 cup mayonnaise. Whisk well to remove clumps. Add green chile sauce by small spoonfuls (depending on your taste, add 2-3). Add taco seasoning to taste and whisk. Set aside.
  5. When fish is done, assemble tacos. We like to warm our tortillas before assembling.

0 comments:

Post a Comment